Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Free Idea: How to build a Universal Content Delivery Platform

In my quest to become completely portable, I've oft fantasized about what my ideal computing, communications, and entertainment platforms would be like. They must encompass both my business and personal needs, be free of any dependencies on proprietary platforms or services, and be as portable as I am. Hopefully, some day the rest of the world will share my dream and we'll see these fantasies brought to reality. Today, lets talk about my vision for a "Universal Content Delivery Platform".

First, define content and content delivery:

* Content may be audio, video, images, or text.
* Content may be static or dynamic.
* Content may be interactive.
* Content may be a conversation between two or more people.
* Content may be as big as a movie, or small as a text chat.
* Content can be delivered live or delayed.
* Content may be broadcast to a wide audience, or sent directly to an individual.

The "Universal Content Delivery Platform" takes this into account and makes it possible to deliver content to and from any compatible device:

* My device will be wirelessly connected, and will work anywhere in the world.
* My device will be able to play back high resolution video and multi-channel audio.
* My device will be able to record audio and video, and take pictures.
* My device will be secure.
* My device will cache content for rapid retrieval.
* My device will have a familiar interface, and be in my language.
* My device can be as big as a wall, or fit in the palm of my hand.

The "Universal Content Delivery Platform" requires a portal for centralized content management.

* My portal is a two-way gateway for sending and receiving content.
* My portal is always on.
* My portal is always watching for new content that I am interested in
* My portal is always serving the content I have produced.
* My portal speaks a standard protocol to communicate with my device and other portals.
* My portal will give me a globally unique address.
* My portal provide my presense information to people I trust.
* My portal authenticates me to 3rd party applications.
* My portal will give me an Inbox and archive everything I've ever sent or received.
* My portal will process and filter all received content before delivering it to me.
* My portal will take a message if I'm not available and put it in my Inbox.
* My portal will manage my content subscriptions.
* My portal will deliver content in a format my device supports and a language I can read.
* My portal will manage my address book.

I've gone into a lot more detail about this Platform on my Portable Family blog, so hop on over there to keep reading.

No comments: