Wednesday, March 21, 2007

And the next American Idol is...

Sanjaya Malakar!

I'm kidding of course. I don't believe there is any salvation for Sanjaya at this point. Last night's performance was his best to date, and it just could not compare to anyone else on the stage. However, I do think I can predict who will be the next American Idol. And I don't think it's going to be Lakisha Jones or Melinda Doolittle.

Mind you, I think both Melinda and Lakisha are amazing performers. I would pay money to see either of them in concert, assuming they don't take the hip-hop or teeny-pop road and stick to the classic and powerful R&B styles they both sing so well. But there is a third contender, who lately has demonstrated that she can bring it with just as much "Yo!" as either Melinda or Lakisha.

I'm talking about Jordin Sparks, my pick for the next American Idol. Last night, Jordin actually sang better than Lakisha. That's the first time since the beginning of the show that anyone, apart from Melinda, has been able to. I don't think Jordin sang as well as Melinda last night, but she was VERY close. But Jordin has something neither Lakisha or Melinda have. Jordin has a HUGE personality. Lakisha and Melinda are both somewhat meek. Neither seem to have accepted that they are going to be huge stars, and they're only just starting to climb out of their shells and show some personality. Jordin, on the other hand, has been bouncing up and down, brimming with excitement and personality. Since the beginning, I have enjoyed watching her, as well as listening to her. I can't say that about Lakisha and Melinda.

I think others will agree with me, and I think that's why Jordin is going to win this year.

No comments: